Stripes, stripes and more stripes ~ a crochet blanket for my baby boy
Finally finished the striped crochet blanket for my baby boy, except he’s not a baby anymore, so I had to revise the size of it from its conception as an idea to its completion as a blanket. It now fits a toddler bed which he’ll be moving into when he turns two. It’s all snuggly and stripey and, despite its wonkiness and
quite a few odd stitches here and there, I’m really pleased with it.
I was inspired by the idea of Attic’s stripey blankets but my crocheting skills aren’t quite up to that yet and, as usual, I made this up as I went along with a bit of guidance from other crocheters (for example moving from using DC (UK) which was making it quite tight, to using HTC) ~ great tip to make the stitches feel less tight. This blanket was basically me trying out a few different stitches, and making a few up too (unintentionally initially!).
I used two 50g grey DK balls, less than two navy 50g DK balls and less than a ball each of the turquoise and the cream, so although it was massively labour-intensive (I don’t even dare add up the hours I put into this), it cost me less than a tenner to make! ($15) with the yarn I used ~ Hayfield Bonus DK Extra Value. The grey and navy were super soft to work with and still feel very cosy, and as they’re the main ones, the whole blanket feels good and it’s washable too!
Now all I need is the weather to change from this Indian summer we seem to be having, so I can snuggle my boy up in it at night time.
Made By Yours Truly